Tumeric is another one of the ingredients I put in my homemade doggie smoothie and it has many benefits for humans and our canine family members… Tumeric is a natural pain reliever and in Eastern medicine has been used for blood purifying, detoxing, disinfecting wounds, treat diarrhea and eradicate ringworm. Here in the Western world, turmeric is being researched as one of the most powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals which cause the painful inflammation and damage to joints, so can be a great additive for your dogs overall health and especially if suffering from arthritis.
Combine turmeric with honey and with the fact that both turmeric and honey are natural antiseptics and antibacterial agents, and you’ve got a powerful salve that’s useful for disinfecting and treating skin. But,watch out as your dog might think it is a treat!
There is lots of promising benefits to preventing cancer too!!
Other uses include
- Helps relieve allergies
- Helps in preventing the formation of cataracts
- Used in treating depression
- Kills parasites
- Heals stomach ailments, aids in digestive disorders, and reduces gas and bloating
- Acts as a binding agent and therefore great for treating diarrhea (Make sure you have lots of water available for your pet to drink!)
- Aids in fat metabolism and weight management
- High in fiber and rich in vitamins and mineral
How much to feed? 1/8 – 1/4 tps1 per 10lbs of weight..You can put it over the top of their food, but make sure they have plenty of water or you can make a slurry or in my case I add it into their smoothie!!!